Malden City Seal

City of Malden
200 Pleasant Street
Malden, MA 02148
(781) 397-7000

 Hours:
Mon, Wed, Thur ~ 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Tues ~ 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Fri ~ 8 a.m. to 12 noon.

Malden, Massachusetts Official City Government Website

About Malden > City Landmarks

City Landmarks

Hebrew Charitable Burial Ground - Lebanon Street
Founded in 1851, this landmark is the second oldest Jewish cemetery in Massachusetts. Long known as the “Maplewood Cemetery,” it served as a burial site for poor Jewish immigrants. The vast majority of those buried were children who died of common childhood diseases. Of the 1,439 burials, only 181 were older than 20 years and most were 5 years old and under. For many years the grounds were neglected and those buried were forgotten with unmarked graves or damaged headstones. The Jewish Cemetery Association of Massachusetts (JCAM) launched a restoration project and transformed this once abandoned site into a historical Jewish landmark. The restored grounds include a Children’s Memorial Garden complete with a memorial called “the Forgotten Children.” In September 2013, many gathered to rededicate the site that now provides a dignified and peaceful setting for those who rest there.  Click here to see a collection of photos from the rededication ceremony.

 

58 Dexter Street
Formerly the home of Boston attorney Lloyd Makepeace, this Bracketed Queen Anne has unusual architectural detailing, featuring twin parlors, stained-glass windows, oak, beech, chestnut and cherry woodwork, and floors of oak parquet, birds-eye maple, and tiger oak. Featured in the Boston Globe, Women's Day, Old House Journal, and the Malden Evening News, it was restored in the early 1980s by Carol and Richard Sarabia. Richard was the founder and first president of the Malden Victorian Society.

90 Mountain Avenue
This home has undergone extensive remodeling (trim, moldings, roof brackets) to restore it to its original style.

Bell Rock Cemetery
Created pre-1649, first known as "Sandy Bank" (1st landing place of settlers sailing up Mystic River). At this site rests many prominent Maldonians. See earliest gravestone - Alice Brackenberry, 1670. Cemetery also known for stone work. See headstone of Mercy Allen, (d. 1678). Burial site of more than 30 Revolutionary War Veterans.

Bell Rock Memorial Park
Park since 1905, this site commemorates Malden's veterans atop Bell Rock upon which Malden's first settlers erected a church bell hung in a frame for 30 years to call colonial worshippers. First Meeting House stood on west side of rock 1649-1658 and Second Meeting House stood here 1660-1730. Park includes "The Flag Defenders" monument by Bela Pratt in tribute to soldiers and sailors of the Civil War. Also found are tablets memorializing Malden veterans of Revolutionary, Spanish American and First World Wars. An arch dedicated to Veterans of World War II has been restored and additional panels are being added to memorialize some 8,100 residents from across the City who served their country during this War.. The new World War II memorial will be unveiled and dedicated on June 26, 2010. Site laid out by noted landscape architect Frederick Law Olmsted, who designed New York's Central Park and Boston's Emerald Necklace chain of parks. Bell Rock Memorial Park was named to the National Register of Historic Places in February, 2001.

339 Pleasant Street
This elaborate mansard mansion was built in 1866 by Wilbur Fisk Haven, a partner in one of Boston's leading hardware dealerships, A.J. Wilkinson and Co. Situated in the former "Doctor's Row" neighborhood, it became the home of Malden Physicians after Mrs. Fisk's death in 1891. It is currently an office building.The building was restored by its former owner, A.J. Martini, Inc., a construction firm noted for its restoration work in the Greater Boston area.

Cheverus School
Named after the Rev. Jean-Louis Lefebvre de Cheverus, first bishop of Boston. Present property purchased in 1909. Designed by Boston architects Chickering and O'Connell. Officially opened in 1911. Once a high school site, now an elementary school under the direction of Sisters of Providence of St. Mary of the Woods, Indiana.

Converse Memorial Building
Designed by America's leading 19th century architect, Henry Hobson Richardson, the rough-faced masonry, sense of monumentality, round arches and recessed windows are all salient features. Richardson also designed the interior furnishings which were manufactured by the Albert H. Davenport Co., a Boston furniture company whose owner was from Malden. The library was donated to the City in 1885 by Malden's first Mayor, Elisha S. Converse and his wife, Mary Diana, as a lasting memorial to their son, Frank, the victim of the first bank robbery murder in the history of the U.S. Building site selected by noted landscape designer, Frederick Law Olmsted.

Davenport Memorial Building
Built in 1892 by noted furniture maker, Albert H. Davenport. Extraordinary example of late 19th century eclecticism showing mixture of classic and colonial motifs. Representative of architect-designed lavish homes built by successful industrialists. Davenport's furniture graced the Grover Cleveland White House, The Royal Palace of Hawaii and other fine establishments including the Converse Memorial Library. Home now used as housing for retired Malden couples.

DeMarco Building
Built in 1902, this building located on Main Street in Malden Square reflects the commercial Classic Revival style with its yellow, brick facade and red sandstone keystones above the upper windows, trim and banding.

First Baptist Church
Founded in 1803, this Church occupied two other buildings on Salem Street before locating on the present site at 493 Main Street in 1891. Designed by architect H.S. MacKay of Boston, the structure has compatible style to the adjacent H.H. Richardson-designed Converse Memorial Building. In 1915, the church burned and the interior was rebuilt. The church is noted for its two stained glass rose windows, designed by European artist, Charles J. Connick and given by Governor Alvan T. Fuller (of Malden) in 1941. The magnificent pipe organ was donated by the Converse family, the City's most illustrious benefactors.

First Church Congregational
Located at 184 Pleasant Street, this present church is the eighth structure to serve as the First Church Congregational. Built in the colonial style, the belfry contains a bell that has survived since the fifth church erected in 1832. The First Church also has a carillon dedicated in 1958 possessing 100 chime bells. In the front wall of the east room is a stone, over 700 years old, taken from the chancel of All Saints Church in Maldon, Essex, England. It commemorates the city's colonial origins as there were some early settlers of Mystic Side who probably worshipped in All Saints Church and in 1649, took the name of Malden for their new settlement.

First District Court
Located at 89 Summer Street, this court was established by authority of Mass. General Laws, Chapter 392 of the year 1872 and effective December 7, 1921. The First Justice was John W. Pettengill of Malden.

First Parish in Malden
Located at 2 Elm Street, The First Parish in Malden (Universalist) traces its origins to the establishment of the town in 1649. In the early 1800's when Massachusetts churches became either Congregational or Unitarian, this parish was one of only two to become Universalist. After separation in 1828, the First Parish selected as its pastor the Reverend Sylvanus Cobb, father of the twin artists Cyrus and Darius Cobb. The present structure at Elm and Pleasant Streets (once known as Dexter Triangle) opened for worship in 1909.

Government Center
Located at 200 Pleasant Street in Downtown Malden, this building was built in 1974-1975. It serves as the current City Hall and other ancillary offices. This building replaces the old City Hall now torn down which was located on the easterly side of Main Street on the corner of Pleasant Street in Malden Square.

Harriet Hanson Robinson House
This 35 Lincoln Street home was the former residence of Harriet Robinson (1825-1911), mill girl, suffrage leader and author with her husband, William Stevens Robinson (1813-1876), a crusading journalist and politician, who founded the Free Soil party. The National Women's Suffrage Association was founded here.

Henry Morton Robinson House
The 47 Mountain Avenue home of writer Henry Morton Robinson (1899-1961), author of "The Cardinal" which was made into a movie (portions filmed in Malden) in 1963.

Laura A. Leonard School
Located at 380 Pleasant Street and originally known as the West School, this building was designed by architect, John Lyman Faxon. Built in 1884, it was named after prominent female Malden educator, Laura A. Leonard. The building was restored and converted into professional offices.

Library Area
Oldest remaining residential neighborhood with a variety of architectural styles. Early colonial homes are 23 and 38 Park Street, 56 Spring on Salem Street. (known as "Shoemaker's Row," the house was built between 1796-1800 and jointly owned by Esra Holden and John Sprague). Other interesting structures are 18 Sprague St., small mansard; 32 and 40 Sprague St., Greek Revival homes (with modern additions) and 27 Sprague St., Victorian "Painted Lady."

Malden Armory
Once stood the first Armory on this site at 129 Mountain Avenue. In 1907, the construction company Whiton & Hayes of Boston won the contract to build a new armory of brick and stone on the site suggested by local resident Sylvester Baxter. The Malden Rifles, Company L, Fifth Regiment, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia celebrated the twenty-fifth anniversary of its founding at the dedication of this Victorian interpretation of a fortress. The building housed officers' and men's quarters as well as a rifle range. In December 2006, the restored Armory building complete with an addition opened as the new address for a state-of-the-art Malden YMCA.

Malden High School
Located at 77 Salem Street, this present building replaced the old high school originally built in 1899 in a Romanesque style of architecture. A wing built in 1936-1939 which houses a newly-renovated 900-seat Jenkins Auditorium is a good example of Art Deco architecture.  Present high school erected 1975-1976.

Malden Home for Aged Persons
This complex located at 578 Main Street was designed by Malden town selectman and architect, Tristram Griffin in 1892. Known originally as the Vannewar Place, this structure of yellow brick and freestone was supported by contributions from Malden's first mayor and notable benefactor Elisha Converse and other citizens. Today, it is a professional office building.

Mountain Avenue Firehouse
A typical turn-of-the-century fire station, the 22 Mountain Avenue firehouse was designed by Malden architect Tristram Griffin. Griffin, whose house is still standing at the corner of Converse Avenue and Green Street, designed many of the schools and fire stations to accommodate the City's growing population. The firehouse is now a private residence.

Odd Fellows Hall
Located at 442 Main Street, the Odd Fellows Hall (1907) is an example of 20th century formal eclectic design combining Renaissance and Classical Revival elements. It has been restored into a professional office building.

Odiorne House
Located at 15 Cedar Street, this home was built by Thomas Odiorne, one of Malden's early captains of industry. He and his brother opened a nail rolling and cutting mill in 1804, at the beginning of Malden's thriving factory era.

Old Parsonage (Judson House)
Built in 1724, the Parsonage is the oldest structure in Malden. The colonial style house, located across from Bell Rock Memorial Park, is the site of the original meeting house of the town. For 186 years it was home to ministers of Malden, among them Joseph Emerson, great grandfather of Ralph Waldo Emerson and Peter Thacher, Malden's pastor during the Revolutionary period. Thacher is believed to have authored the Malden Declaration. In 1788, the parsonage was the birthplace of foreign missionary Adoniram Judson, first missionary to Burma. At the time of the Civil War, the house served as an underground railroad stop sheltering fugitive slaves.

Robinson Cuticura Apartments
Built in 1892, former headquarters of Robinson Brothers & Company; later Potter Drug, manufacturers of Cuticura Soap products. Site now housing for elderly.

Sacred Hearts Church
Built in 1892 (basement church) with the upper church completed in 1901, Sacred Hearts Church (Roman Catholic) was last church designed by noted architect Patrick C. Keely. Features include a central nave, side tower, side apse and stained glass windows that add a glowing luminescence to the massive interior. Church celebrated its Centennial in July, 1990.

Salem Street Cemetery
Malden's second oldest cemetery purchased in 1832. Present wall built by W.P.A. workers in 1937. Earliest gravestone, Mary Alice Pickering, d. Oct. 4, 1832. Also contains graves of two Revolutionary soldiers, Capt. Joseph Cheever and Michael Neagles, and many of Malden's early prominent families including: Tufts, Corey, Cox, Faulkner, Waitt and Pratt.

Spanish American War Monument
Located at the corner of Pleasant Street and Highland Avenue, this bronze sculpture known as "The Hiker" was erected on November 20, 1938 and unveiled 40 years after the Spanish American War. It was created by Alice Ruggles, designer of at least 50 military monuments nationwide.

The Buckminster House
This Victorian, located at 41 Dexter Street, was built c. 1902 by the Buckminster banking family. The home with more than 5,000 square feet contains 12 rooms, an oversized foyer and second floor landing. The interior includes four fireplaces, ornate arches and hand-carved crown moldings. The exterior has turrets, diamond lit windows and notable stone work.

The Rose House
So-called because of its color scheme, this is one of the finest of Malden's Victorians. Included in a book, "Daughters of Painted Ladies," this handsome, ornately trimmed house, located at 107 Dexter Street, with leaded and stained glass windows in almost every room was one of the first in the City to be given a multi-hued paint treatment (5 different colors). Built by Boston bookbinder, Robert Berlin, the house remained in that family for 99 years.

The Waite Block
Characteristic of a mid-19th century brick and timber warehouse industrial building, the Waite Block, 420-424 Main Street, is sturdy and simply detailed. This commercial building is constructed of red brick and has a hip roof with the original slate shingles and granite lintels. The curved south end of the building reflects the original curve of the corner of Main and Pleasant Streets.

Wilcox Hall
Originally the home of William H. Willcox, D.D. In 1914, this house, located at 80 Mountain Avenue, was devoted to use as a social community center and home for young working women. Given to Malden YWCA in 1988, the building was completely renovated and is used as affordable housing for 21 working women.