This elaborate mansard mansion was built in 1866 by Wilbur Fisk Haven, a partner in one of Boston's leading hardware dealerships, A.J. Wilkinson and Co. Situated in the former "Doctor's Row" neighborhood, it became the home of Malden physicians...Read More
Formerly the home of Boston attorney Lloyd Makepeace, this Bracketed Queen Anne has unusual architectural detailing. It features twin parlors; stained-glass windows; oak, beech, chestnut and cherry woodwork; and, floors of oak parquet, birds-eye...Read More
This home has undergone extensive remodeling (trim, moldings, roof brackets) to restore it to its original style.
Established pre-1649, this cemetery is the oldest burial ground in the City and is located on Malden's Green Street. It was first known as "Sandy Bank" because it was often the first landing place of settlers sailing up Mystic River. After 1832,...Read More
Since 1905, Bell Rock Memorial Park has commemorated Malden's veterans. This is the location of Malden's first two meeting houses and the rocky outcrop on site serves as an important landmark. In 1658, a church bell was hung from scaffolding on...Read More
The location of the now Cheverus School, Sacred Hearts Parish, was designed by Boston architects Chickering and O'Connell and purchased in 1909. The school was originally both a grade school and a high school and officially opened in 1911. The...Read More
The Converse Memorial Building, also known as the Converse Memorial Library, was opened in October, 1885. The building was designed by America's leading 19th century architect, Henry Hobson Richardson. The building site was selected by noted...Read More
This colonial structure was constructed in 1892 by noted furniture maker, Albert Henry Davenport. He built the mansion to celebrate his successful and prosperous interior design and furniture business. Davenport's furniture graced the Grover...Read More
Built in 1902, this building located on Main Street in downtown Malden reflects the commercial Classic Revival style. It stands out with its yellow, brick facade and red sandstone keystones above the upper windows, trim and banding.
Founded in 1803, this church occupied two other buildings on Salem Street before locating on the present site at 493 Main Street in 1891. Designed by architect, H.S. MacKay of Boston, the structure is compatible in style to the adjacent H.H....Read More
Founded in 1649 by early English settlers, the First Church Congregational is Malden's first church and meeting house. The congregation has a continuous history of 360 years of worship, service and fellowship.
The First Parish in Malden traces its origins to the establishment of the town and began holding services in 1648. Originally meeting on Main Street, it occupied three other spaces before moving to its present location at Elm and Pleasant Streets...Read More
This home on 35 Lincoln Street was the former residence of Harriet Hanson Robinson (1825-1911), who worked in a cotton mill as a child, played an important role in the women's suffrage movement and became an author and poet. She lived here with...Read More
Founded in 1851, this landmark is the second oldest Jewish cemetery in Massachusetts. Long known as the “Maplewood Cemetery,” it served as a burial site for poor Jewish immigrants. The vast majority of those buried were children who died of...Read More
The house located at 47 Mountain Avenue was the home of novelist Henry Morton Robinson (1899-1961). He was best known for his 1950 novel, The Cardinal. The book chronicles the life of an American priest who becomes a Prince of the...Read More
The former school building located at 380 Pleasant Street was originally known as the West School. Built in 1884, this building was designed by architect, John Lyman Faxon. It was named after prominent Malden educator, Laura A. Leonard. The...Read More
The first Armory once stood on this site at 129 Mountain Avenue. In 1907, the construction company Whiton & Hayes of Boston won the contract to build a new armory of brick and stone as suggested by local resident, Sylvester Baxter. The Malden...Read More
The courthouse is located at 89 Summer Street and was established by authority of Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 392 of the year 1872 and effective December 7, 1921. The First Justice was John W. Pettengill who lived in Malden.The court has...Read More
The present Malden High School, located at 77 Salem Street, replaced the old high school that was originally built in 1899 in a Romanesque style of architecture. A wing built in 1936-1939 houses a newly-renovated 900-seat Jenkins Auditorium and...Read More
This complex located at 578 Main Street was designed by Malden Town Selectman and architect, Tristram Griffin in 1892. Known originally as Vannewar Place, this structure of yellow brick and freestone was supported by contributions from Malden's...Read More
The area surrounding the Malden Public Library is one of the oldest remaining residential neighborhoods with a variety of architectural styles. There are early colonial homes located at 23 and 38 Park Street, 56 Spring Street and on Salem Street...Read More
A typical turn-of-the-century fire station, the 22 Mountain Avenue firehouse was designed by Malden architect Tristram Griffin. Griffin, whose house is still standing at the corner of Converse Avenue and Green Street, designed many of the schools...Read More
Odd Fellows Hall is located at 442 Main Street and was built in 1907. It was designed by Louis C. Newhall specifically for the International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF). The structure is an example of 20th century formal eclectic design combining...Read More
Located at 15 Cedar Street, this home was built by Thomas Odiorne, one of Malden's early Captains of industry. He and his brother opened a nail rolling and cutting mill in 1804, at the beginning of Malden's thriving factory era.
Built in 1724, the Parsonage is the oldest structure in Malden. The colonial style house, located across from Bell Rock Memorial Park, is the site of the original meeting house of the town. For 186 years it was home to ministers of Malden, among...Read More
Built in 1892, this site served as the former headquarters of Robinson Brothers & Company. At one time the building housed the Potter Drug and Chemical Co. which manufactured Cuticura Soap products. The four story mill building is all brick...Read More
Built in 1892 (basement church) with the upper church completed in 1901, Sacred Hearts Church (Roman Catholic) was the last church designed by noted architect, Patrick C. Keely. Features of the buidling include a central nave, side tower, and...Read More
This is the site of Malden's second oldest cemetery which was purchased in 1832. The present wall was built by Work Progress Administration workers, a New Deal agency, in 1937. The earliest gravestone is that of Mary Alice Pickering who died on ...Read More
Located at the corner of Pleasant Street and Highland Avenue, this bronze sculpture known as "The Hiker" was erected on November 20, 1938 and unveiled 40 years after the Spanish American War. It was created by Alice Ruggles, designer of at least...Read More
This Victorian home, located at 41 Dexter Street, was built circa 1902 by the Buckminster banking family. The home, with more than 5,000 square feet contains 12 rooms, an oversized foyer and a second floor landing. The interior includes four...Read More
This is one of the finest of Malden's Victorians and is called the "Rose House" because of its color scheme. The property is included in the book, "Daughters of Painted Ladies," which provides a photographic survey of renovated and repainted...Read More
The Waite Block, located at 420-424 Main Street, is characteristic of a mid-19th century brick and timber warehouse industrial building. The structure is sturdy and simply detailed. This commercial building was constructed of red brick and has a...Read More
This site is located at 80 Mountain Avenue and is the original home of William H. Willcox, D.D. In 1914, this house was devoted to use as a social community center and home for young working women. Given to Malden YWCA in 1988, the building was...Read More