In 1640, the Puritans settled in Malden on land purchased in 1629 from the Native American Pennacook Tribe. Located north of the Mystic River, the area was originally known as "Mistick Side" and was part of Charlestown. Malden was incorporated as a separate town on May 2, 1649. The name "Malden" was chosen by Joseph Hills, an early settler and landholder, who emigrated from Maldon, England. Malden was incorporated as a city on March 31, 1882 and originally included what are now the adjacent cities of Melrose (until 1850) and Everett (until 1870).
During the American Revolution, the citizenry of Malden were heavily involved in the early resistance of the oppression of Britain and was the first town to petition the colonial government to withdraw from the British Empire.
Located in Middlesex County, Malden is five miles northwest of Boston with a population of approximately 60,000 residents. It is bordered by Melrose on the north, Stoneham on the northwest, Medford on the west, Everett on the south, Revere on the east and Saugus on the northeast. Waitts Mount is the highest point in the city. Malden consists of 5 square miles and is convenient to Boston’s Logan Airport and Routes 1, 16, 93, 99 and 128.