The City is presently working with the Metropolitan Area Planning Council (MAPC) to develop a 5-year Housing Production Plan (HPP). The goal of the HPP is to gain a better understanding of housing need and demand in Malden and establish housing goals and strategies moving forward. A seven (7) member Advisory Committee has been formed to assist in the process and in drafting the plan. As part of the process, MAPC will be working with the Committee to conduct interviews and facilitate small focus groups consisting of residents, elected officials, municipal staff, volunteers, those in real estate and development, and others. There will also be public forums and meetings to gain input in Malden’s housing history, present issues and challenges, and future objectives.
The Malden HPP will establish housing goals rooted in community need and demand, and identify specific strategies to position the City to better achieve these objectives and meet the needs of its residents given constraints and opportunities. It will also position the City to better respond to 40B development proposals by guiding the type, amount, and location of housing, and positioning the City to pursue HPP certification. For Malden, MAPC will also conduct a General Land Area Minimum (GLAM), also known as a “1.5%” calculation, per M.G.L. c. 40B, § 20. This will assess approximate eligibility for safe harbor under 760 CMR 56.03(3)(b), which requires that SHI-eligible housing occupy sites comprising more than 1.5% of the total land area zoned for residential, commercial, or industrial use.
- Maria Luise - email@example.com - 781-397-7000
Meetings and Events
- September 10th, 2018 - Housing Production Plan Advisory Committee - Posting & Agenda
- November 5th, 2018 - Housing Production Plan Advisory Committee - Posting & Agenda
- January 7th, 2019 - Housing Production Plan Advisory Committee - Posting & Agenda
- September 10th, 2018 - Housing Production Plan Advisory Committee - Meeting Minutes
- November 5th, 2018 - Housing Production Plan Advisory Committee - Meeting Minutes