Skip to main content

Smoking Cause of Malden Fatal Fire - No Working Smoke Alarms

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

State Fire Marshal Peter J. Ostroskey and Malden Fire Chief Kevin P. Finn announced the cause of last night’s fatal fire at 30 Perkins Avenue in Malden was the improper disposal of smoking materials. The fire claimed the life of an elderly couple who lived in the apartment. The husband perished in the fire and the wife died later at a Boston hospital from her injuries. 

State Fire Marshal Ostroskey said, “Sadly, this fire reminds us of how important working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms to give people early warning of danger.” There were no working smoke or carbon monoxide alarms in the home.

Chief Finn said, “This fire is a terrible tragedy for the family and the community. I urge every resident of Malden not to go to sleep tonight unless all their smoke and CO alarms are working.”

The fire began in the living room near the couch. The fire was jointly investigated by the Malden Fire and Police Departments and State Police assigned to the Office of the State Fire Marshal and to the Office of Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan. The District Attorney’s office will release the identity of the victims after upon formal confirmation by the Medical Examiner’s Office and notification of next of kin. Assistance was received from the Code Compliance Unit of the Department of Fire Services.