Skip to main content

Public Works

Facelift for Basketball Courts at Green Street Park

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Green Street Park gets a “Blue and Gold” look with the newly painted basketball courts! Mayor Gary Christenson, Ward 1 City Councilor Peg Crowe and Director of Public Works Bob Knox joined the Malden Neighborhood Basketball League (MNBL) and local neighbors to celebrate the courts’ new look. The revitalization was done with the help of the DPW and was funded by Ward 1 Improvement Funds.

“The basketball courts are used regularly not just by the MNBL, who engage many of our high school students in an organized sport, but by neighborhood youth and families,” said Councilor Crowe. “I...

Callahan Park Improvements

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Continuing the City’s longstanding commitment to providing quality parks, recreation facilities and open space for the use and enjoyment of its residents and youth, adult and school sports programs, Callahan Park, a key recreational asset located in Ward 2, will soon be undergoing a comprehensive renovation.  Funded as part of the City’s FY2013 to FY2015 Capital Improvement Plan, Callahan Park will receive a $780,000 investment to improve the park.  The improvements will include:

  • A fully rehabilitated softball field.

  • A new sodded playing field and skinned...

Construction on Glenwood Street

Tuesday, June 17, 2014


Roadway Pavement Improvements


The City of Malden through its Department of Public Works and contractor, E. J. Paving Company, Inc. will be completing roadway pavement improvements on Glenwood Street from Washington Street to Beltran Street. Weekend work may occur with prior City Approval. 

Construction is scheduled to begin on Glenwood Street starting Wednesday, June 18, 2014. The road will be fully reconstructed which requires that it be closed to all traffic during the process. The normal...

Water Utilities Forms and Documents

How do I dispose of a Christmas tree?

JRM will pick up the Christmas trees on your regular trash day on a designated week after Christmas. Monitor the website for a press release in December announcing the date. Please remove any garland, lights decorations and no plastic bags. If you have any questions please call the DPW at 781-397-7160.

Who is responsible for the maintenance and repair of a sewer lateral?

The sewer pipe that connects a building to the City sewer main in the center of the street is the responsibility of the property owner to maintain and repair. That includes the entire length of pipe from the building to the City main in the center of the street, as per City ordinance. A permit must be obtained from the City Engineer's office prior to commencing any relevant work.

Where can I get a recycling bin or recycling stickers?

At the Department of Public Work, 356 Commercial Street between 8:00AM and 4:00PM. Bring your broken bin to us and we will replace it. Additional bins can be picked up at a cost of $5 each. Recycling stickers can also be obtained at the Department of Public Works.

How do I resolve a sewer backup?

Contact the Malden Sewer Department at (781) 397-7164. They will inspect the sewer manholes in the center of the street to determine if there is a backup on the City sewer main pipe in the street. If the City sewer main does not have a blockage, the property owner will need to hire a drain cleaning company.

Who do I contact if there is a problem with my trash, recycling or to report illegal dumping?

Call the Department of Public Works (781) 397-7160 Monday through Friday between 8:00AM-4:00PM; after 4:00PM please state the problem and leave your name, address and phone number. Someone will return your call. All illegal dumping calls will be forwarded to the solid waste inspector who will inspect the trash and fine the person/property that illegally dumped the trash. (Fine is $300.)

How do I dispose of a television/monitor?

Residents may have these items picked curbside by JRM by calling 1-800-323-4285 Monday through Friday from 8AM-4PM to schedule a pickup. A $25 per television/monitor fee to JRM is required to be paid by debit/credit card.

How do I know when my street will be swept?

Call the Department of Public Works (781) 397-7160 Monday through Friday between 8:00AM – 4:00PM. Click here for street sweeping schedule. It is also available at the Treasurer’s Office or City Clerk’s Office, Malden Government Center, 200 Pleasant Street. The schedule also runs periodically on MATV and in the local newspapers. Additionally, compliance officers place the schedule on parked cars during the month of April.
Neighborhood sweeping takes place between the hours of 7:30AM and 12:00PM. No on-street parking is allowed on your regularly scheduled sweeping day. Please note...

Who do I contact for a sidewalk repair?

Call the Department of Public Works (781) 397-7160 Monday through Friday between 8:00AM-4:00PM with the location. Please advise whether the sidewalk is concrete or asphalt.

The Department of Public Works (DPW) is responsible for a variety of City services including the collection, transportation and disposal of solid waste; snow removal, plowing and sanding; street sweeping, upkeep and repairs to sidewalks and streets; maintenance of parks; city-wide tree maintenance and planting; anti-graffiti efforts; pavement marking maintenance; signage and traffic signalization; and, storm water system maintenance and drainage repairs. Malden is a Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) community where residents pay for the trash they dispose. It affects persons living in households up to six units. It allows each household to control its volume of trash disposal and encourages recycling. All residents must use official light blue City of Malden trash bags. Under the PAYT program, recyclables and yard waste are collected at no additional cost. (Recyclables are picked up weekly and yard waste collection is on a seasonal schedule).The department also holds hazardous waste recycling days throughout the year.

For any off hours emergencies related to the DPW or Water Utilities, please dial 781-397-7160 and dial option 0 to be connected to someone immediately.