Sign Design Review Committee
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
View Most Recent Agendas and Minutes
- Deborah Burke, Executive Director of the MRA
- Yem Lip, City Engineer
- Nelson Miller CBO, Building Commissioner
- Craig Spadafora, Councillor at Large
- Ari Taylor, City Councillor Ward 5
The City of Malden regulates signs in Malden through the Sign Control Ordinance (R.O. 1991 Section 3.35) to ensure signs are appropriate for their respective uses, keep with the appearance of the affected property and surrounding environment, and are protective of the public health, safety, and general welfare.
The Malden Sign Control Ordinance is available here.
Any sign requiring a permit must be reviewed and approved by the Sign Design Review Committee (SDRC). Any conditions or restrictions contained in the Sign Design approval are conditions for the issuance of the building permit.
More information on the sign permit process is available here Version Options Sign Design Review Committee Headline.
The SDRC may issue approvals with conditions, restrictions, or limitations, including but not limited to, color, size, methods of illumination, materials, and appearance. The SDRC cannot approve a sign expressly prohibited by the Sign Control Ordinance, other City ordinance, or the Massachusetts Building Code.
In approving or disapproving a sign, the SDRC takes into consideration the following:
(1) The zoning district, existing uses in the area, and the general character of the area;
(2) The economic and business interests of the party having erected or proposing to erect the sign;
(3) The aesthetic appearance of the sign and its overall effect on the surrounding area;
(4) The aesthetic appearance of the sign and its overall effect on a building or property, including ensuring the lettering, shape, and color employed in a sign is compatible with the form, color, and materials of the associated building or property, and of a harmonious style and design; and
(5) The sign is consistent with the Sign Control Ordinance and any regulations adopted by the SDRC.