Become a Poll Worker
Welcome! We are happy to see you are interested in becoming a new poll worker.
You are required to fill out a W4 and I9, along with an Employee Personnel Application Form.Once the three required forms are filled out please return to the City Clerks office with proper identification for the I-9, as is outlined on page two of the PDF. Please contact the City Clerk's office if you have any questions or need assistance in filling out this information. Once all paperwork has been processed we will get you set up with our HR department your name will then be added to our new poll worker training orientation.
Below are a few items that will aid you in getting comfortable in your new task.
- Please report to work on Election Day at 6:00 am to allow for enough set up time before the polls open at 7:00. The polls stay open until 8:00 pm, at which time your Precinct Warden will instruct you on the closing process and dismiss the Inspectors once voting tallies are completed. Time of dismissal is typically between 8:30 and 8:45 pm. Elections bringing in a higher voter turnout may require you to stay a bit later than this. The Warden’s discretion is final.
- For the day’s work, you will be compensated $125. Throughout the day you will receive a lunch and dinner break issued at a time according to the Warden’s approval.
- Compensation paid to election workers is not subject to income tax withholding under Section 3401 (a) of the Internal Revenue Code, however, it is strongly recommended you speak with a tax professional in regards to earned income reporting requirements.
- On Election Day, you will be working with several people who have been trained poll workers for many years. They will walk you through all procedures and answer any questions you may have about the voting process. Additionally, you will be provided with a Poll Workers Instruction book to review while you work.
- Sometimes there is much down time in between voters. We encourage poll workers to bring books, knitting, etc. to stay busy during such times. Cell phones and other electronics are not allowed.
If you have any questions please contact us at 781-397-7000 x 2117.