- Departments M - Z
- Strategic Planning and Community Development
- Transportation Planning
- MBTA Bus Network Redesign
MBTA Bus Network Redesign
Greater Boston has changed significantly in recent years, with shifting demographics, emerging employment districts, increasing traffic congestion, and changing travel patterns. The Bus Network Redesign completely reimagines the MBTA’s bus network to reflect these changes and create a better experience for current and future bus riders.
In November 2022, the MBTA Board voted to approve the updated Bus Network Redesign Map, which took into consideration over 20,000 comments from the public. The new network will be implemented in several phases, starting with the rollout of new routes in Summer 2023. The City will alert residents when these key changes take place.
How can I learn more?
Here are some opportunities for you to learn about the Bus Network Redesign:
- Learn more about the Bus Network Redesign project on the MBTA's website.
- Understand the proposed changes for Malden with educational materials in the following languages: English, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, French, Arabic, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Vietnamese.
How can I provide feedback to the MBTA?
The MBTA board approved the Bus Network Redesign, so the public feedback period is now over.
How has the City engaged residents?
The City hosted a hybrid community meeting on Thursday, June 23rd from 6-8pm to give residents the opportunity to learn about the proposed changes, provide feedback to the MBTA, and discuss the tradeoffs. A panel consisting of members from the City’s Sustainable & Equitable Transportation Committee moderated the discussion and representatives from the MBTA provided a Malden-specific overview of the proposed map.
- Watch the City's community meeting to learn about the Malden-specific proposed changes.
- Review the presentation slides from the meeting.
If you'd like to speak to someone from the City regarding this project, you can contact John Alessi, Transportation Planner, Office of Strategic Planning and Community Development: email@example.com OR 781-324-5720 EXT 5740.