Beginning with the 2023 Municipal Election cycle, Malden voters will be seeing a change in the layout of their election ballots. The city will begin publishing transliterations of each candidate’s name in Chinese characters.
Candidates may, but are not required to, submit a proposed transliterated Chinese name for themselves. If a candidate does not submit a proposed transliterated name, one will be prepared for them by a qualified translator designated by the Board of Registrars of Voters.
Once the name is created, each candidate will be provided with a written copy of the proposed transliteration of their name and given a seven-day review period during which they may accept the transliteration or provide written notice to the Board of Registrars of Voters of any modification they wish to be considered. Candidates may also choose to opt out of having their name transliterated on the ballot.
The Board of Registrars of Voters’ determination whether to accept a candidate’s proposed Chinese name, and whether a candidate’s name will appear as a translation or a transliteration, shall be final.
The Board will determine whether to accept a candidate’s proposed Chinese name based on the following criteria:
- Information submitted by the candidate regarding whether or not the candidate has an established Chinese name;
- Information regarding how the Chinese community refers to the candidate at community meetings, events, and in the Chinese press;
- Information regarding how the candidate is referred to in campaign materials printed in Chinese;
- Whether or not a proposed transliteration has another meaning in the Chinese language;
- Any other information the Board deems relevant in order to prevent voter confusion and to allow for effective participation by the Chinese community in the electoral process.
Nomination forms for the 2023 Municipal Election season became available from the City Clerk’s Office on May 9. Candidates have until 5:00 PM on August 1st to submit nomination papers to the Clerk’s Office for certification.
If a preliminary becomes necessary, it will be held from 7:00 AM until 8:00 PM on Tuesday, September 19 in those precincts throughout the city where a preliminary is required. The General Election will be held citywide on November 7, 2023. A complete election calendar and